Division I NATPA Pulling Rules
Effective until 4/2018
Division I is designed for beginning pullers and show tractors and is used to promote stock pulling. Tractors: 1959 and older or production models that started in 1959.
Exception: JD 30 Series allowed.
Classes: 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500, 6000, 6500, 7500 and 8500#
1. GENERAL RULES – See general rules that apply to all tractors.
2. ENTRY - A tractor cannot be entered in classes below its manufactured shipping weight. A Division l tractor may also pull in Division II if the tractor meets the rules for Division ll. Division II tractors cannot drop to Division l.
3. MAXIMUM TIRE SIZE - 0-3500# 130 sq. in. max; 3501-4500# 145 sq. in. max; 4501-5500# 170 sq. in. max; 5501-6500# 229 sq. in. max; 6501-7500# 284 sq. in. max; 7501-8500# 300 sq. in. max. No cut tires. See tire size chart below from Firestone Traction Field and Road and Firestone Field and Road Charts.
4. RIMS AND WHEELS - Tractors must have OEM recommended diameter rims and OEM wheels. Tires must be on rim width, not exceeding tire manufacturers recommended width. Wheels with rims for manufacturers original recommendations to include cut-downs for tractors that may have originally been on steel wheels.
5. SPEED LIMIT - 2.75 MPH. Not allowed to shift torque or gear.
6. WEIGHTS - Weights of bolt on type to either the front or the back wheels. Weights can be made. They must be round and made of metal and be as near appearing to original manufactured weights as possible. No concrete or suitcase weights allowed.
7. ENGINE - Stock block, naturally aspirated. Exceptions: Oliver 99 GM, etc. Stock head, manifold, and carburetor (by part number). Manifolds are to be replacement manufactured parts accepted for that make and model tractor. Stock RPM. Engine parts not in parts book or replacement parts book for that specific tractor cannot be used. Exceptions: Distributors can be used on Antique tractors. A factory coil must be used. No electronic ignitions, square coils, MSD coils or chrome coils allowed.
8. HITCHES - Maximum 16" height (stationary in all directions) locked at 16" on tractors such as IH fast hitch, Ford 3 point hitch, etc. Hitches must be as from factory-unaltered for that specific tractor. Operator must furnish a straight up and down clevis with a minimum opening of 3.25" bolted or pinned tightly with spacers to the draw bar. Hitch measured at hook point of clevis. Farmall H's and M's must pull from an original drawbar hooked to the original belly hook point. Drawbar must be 24 inches minimum from center of axle to hitch point. (This wording added per safety committee on 06/20/14).
Drawbar must be 24 inches minimum from center of axle to hitch point. (This wording add as per safety committee on 7/30/03)
9. SAFETY/DRIVER – Wheelie Bars and Kill Switches are required in all Divisions including Division I. Refer to General Rules #4 for requirements. Drivers must be 10 years of age or older. Those under 18 years of age must have written parental/guardian permission. Pullers between 10 to 14 years of age (Unexperienced) driver may have one parental/guardian on the track for safety reasons only. (This rule change added on 06/20/14).
10. APPEARANCE - Tractors must maintain original stock appearance. If a part is not found in the manufacturers’ parts book it cannot be used. No extra accessories allowed. No aluminum or chrome allowed except for exhaust pipes. All guards, shrouds, covers and shields shall be in place as from factory and be made of original material (steel or iron) and as near like factory as possible. No homemade rear end covers allowed. Seat must be an original seat or a manufactured seat made for a farm tractor placed with stock mountings (such as TSC). Home made side - shields will not be allowed. Exception: factory side shields such as Oliver’s. Alternators and straight pipes are allowed.
11. SPONSORS - Advertising plaques or signs may be put on tractor as long as it does not interfere with teching of tractor.
0-3500# class 130 sq. in. 3501-4500# class 145 sq. in 4501-5500# class 170 sq. in.
11.2 x 38 - 120 sq. in. 12.4 x 38 - 140 sq. in. 13.6 x 38 - 168 sq. in.
11.2 x 36 - 115 sq. in. 12.4 x 36 - 135 sq. in. 14.9 x 28 - 170 sq. in.
12. 4 x 28 - 126 sq. in. 13.6 x 28 - 145 sq. in.
13.6 x 24 - 130 sq. in. 14.9 x 26 - 144 sq. in.
5501-6500# class 229 sq. in. 6501-7500# class 284 sq. in. 7501-8500# class 300 sq. in.
14.9 x 38 - 200 sq. in. 18.4 x 34 - 284 sq. in. 18.4 x 38 - 300 sq. in.
15.5 x 38 - 189 sq. in. 16.9 x 38 - 252 sq. in.
16.9 x 34 - 229 sq. in. 18.4 x 28 - 250 sq. in.